- 6 – 7 lbs of port shoulder, with the bone and skin.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, ground
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup of oloroso or cream sherry
- 4 cups of chicken broth with the fat skimmed off
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of sherry or balsamic vinegar
- Rinse and pat the pork shoulder dry.
- Score the skin in a cris cross manner to about 1/8 of an inch so that it gets a diamond shaped pattern.
- Crush the garlic, oregano, pepper, thyme and salt so that it forms a coarse paste.
- Rub this paste all over the port shoulder.
- Set this roast in an oiled roasting pan with the skin side up.
- Set the oven to 450 degrees and roast for 40 – 45 min.
- Take the tray out of the oven and transfer the pork to a slow cooker.
- Scatter the onions, chili flakes and carrots around it.
- Pour out half of the sherry and the broth on the pork ensuring that the surface of the roasted pork is thoroughly wetted.
- Set the cooker over a low heat and cook for 7 – 8 hrs.
- Test with a thermometer at the end of this time and when the temperature at the deepest portion of the meat is over 175 degrees, it is ready to come off the heat.
- Before serving, transfer the pork to a carving board and set it in a warm place after covering it.
- Pour the remaining sherry and broth into the cooker and bring to a boil.
- Scrape the bottom and reduce to half.
- Pour it through a wire strainer
- Stir in the vinegar and skim off the excess fat.
- Now lift the skin off the pork shoulder and cut it into pieces along the earlier grooves.
- Slice the meat into strips and arrange them on a plate along with pieces of the skin.
- Drizzle the pan juices (to preference) over the plate.
Slow Cooked Pork Chops
- 4 pork loin chops, about 4 oz each
- 3/4 cup flour.
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard, ground.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic and pepper paste.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 2 tablespoon canola oil.
- 1 can of chicken broth, about 14 1/2 oz.
- Mix mustard, flour, salt and the garlic and pepper paste in a bowl.
- Add the chops into the bowl and coat them thoroughly with the mixture.
- Heat a skillet over a medium flame and coat the bottom well with oil.
- Put the flour coated chops on to the skillet and brown them well on both sides.
- Transfer the browned chops into a slow cooker.
- Mix the rest of the flour and the chicken broth in another bowl and whisk till it is a smooth paste.
- Pour this over the chops.
- Cover the cooker and cook on low for 4 hours till the meat is almost falling off the bone.
- When serving, place the chops in a serving plate and whisk the remaining juices before pouring them over the chops.
Hot Chalupa Dinner Bowl
- 8 taco shells.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, small.
- 8 oz of green chilies.
- 3 1/2 lb of single piece loin roast without bone.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of salt.
- 1 tsp of oregano.
- 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- 32oz chicken broth
- 1 tbsp of chili powder.
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with lime juice, cilantro and chilies
- 1 lb of dried pinto beans
- Place the beans, roast, chilies, garlic, cumin, oregano chili powder and the salt in a slow cooker and add the chicken broth over the lot so that it covers it.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to high for 1 hr and then reduce to low and cook for 9 hrs.
- Remove the bones and the fat from the roast and add the tomatoes and the green chilies to it.
- Without covering the cooker, cook it on high for an hour, till the broth is slightly thickened.
- Warm the taco shells and place the lettuce inside.
- Spoon out the roast and bean mixture into each shell.
- Add cheese, diced jalapeno, sliced tomatoes, avocados or even sour cream to the top of the filling to taste.
Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas
- 3 lbs of pork shoulder, boneless.
- 2 tsp of salt.
- 1 tsp of chili powder.
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin powder.
- 1/2 tsp of oregano.
- 1 large onion.
- 3 gloves of garlic.
- Sprinkle the pork with the chili powder, salt, cumin and dried oregano.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker along with the onion and the garlic.
- Cover the cooker and cook for about 6 hrs till the meat is tender and almost falling apart.
- Shred the meat and serve hot.
Faijoada is a Brazilian dish that is traditionally served over rice. It is a dish for occasions, but with a slow cooker is easy to make every day.
- 2 cups of dried black beans.
- 4 slices of bacon, preferably smoked.
- 1 lb of boneless pork shoulder cut into small cubes.
- 3/4 tsp of salt.
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- 3 pieces of beef ribs with the bone.
- 3 cups of chopped onion.
- 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth, preferably fat free.
- 4 cloves of garlic.
- 9 oz of smoked ham hock.
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar.
- 8 pieces of orange wedges.
- Boil the beans for 2 min in a saucepan.
- Once the beans are cooked, remove them from the stove and let stand for an hour before draining away the water.
- Crisp the bacon in a large skillet over a medium flame.
- Once it is crisp, remove the bacon and crumble it into small pieces.
- Sprinkle roughly 1/8 of the salt and half the ground pepper on the pork shoulder and transfer it to the skillet.
- Increase the heat to high and sauté them for 8 min till it is browned evenly on all sides.
- Remove the pork and transfer it to a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the beef ribs with 1/8 tsp of salt and all the remaining pepper and cook them in the skillet for 3 min on each side till they are browned nicely.
- Add the beef ribs to the slow cooker.
- Add the beans, 1/2 tsp of salt, onions, chicken broth, garlic and ham hock and stir well.
- Cook over on low for 8 hrs.
- Before serving, remove the ribs from the slow cooker and shred the meat after removing the bone first.
- Add the shredded beef back to the slow cooker and pour the vinegar in.
- Top off with the crumbled bacon and serve with the orange wedges.
Spicy Pork Tacos
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, boneless and with fat, cut into large chunks
- 3 Ancho chilies, whole
- 3 Pasilla chilies, whole
- 2 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3 3/4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Corn tortillas, warmed
- Taco toppings, any kind you like for garnish
- In a small microwavable bowl, place the Ancho, Pasilla chilies and the garlic with 2 to 3 tablespoons of water.
- Microwave for two minutes until the chilies are soft.
- Remove the chilies and garlic from the water.
- Trim, deseed the chilies and peel the garlic.
- Next, transfer the chilies and garlic to a blender.
- Along with the chilies, add chipotles, onion, honey, 2 tbsp olive oil, vinegar, 1 tbsp of salt and oregano into the blender. Blend well.
- Heat a saucepan on medium to high heat with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once the oil heats add in the contents of the blender, stirring continuously for about 8 minutes until the heat brings out all the flavors and aromas.
- Once the sauce is cooked, add in the broth, bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for a few minutes, for the broth to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the saucepan into a slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours until the meat is soft and tender.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and shred the meat using a fork.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot on top of warmed tortillas with any other topping you like.
For best results ensure that you cook the pork for no longer than 5 hours.
Easy Barbecue Country Style Ribs
If you're in a hurry and on your way out, this is one of the best rib recipes for you. Simply throw in all the ingredients together and come back home for a mouthwatering and scrumptious meal.
- 4 to 5 lbs pork ribs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 18 oz barbecue sauce
- Simply add in the pork ribs, onion, salt, pepper, barbecue sauce all together into a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours until meat is nice and tender.
- Serve hot or cold.
Tasty BBQ Pulled Pork
This is a terrific slow cooker pork recipe and while using prime pork ribs are a luxury, this recipe tastes good with just about any cut of pork meat. Like most slow cooker recipes, this one is very simple, just needs time to cook.
- 1 oz beef broth
- 3 lbs pork ribs, boneless
- 18oz barbecue sauce
- In a slow cooker, add in the beef broth and pork ribs. Let it cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- You can check if the meat is done by shredding it with a fork, it should break easily. If it does not let it cook for a little longer.
- Once the meat is cooked, remove any excess liquid from the slow cooker.
- Shred the meat using a fork.
- Add in the barbecue sauce and mix well.
- Put the lid back on the slow cooker and cook on low for another 4 hours.
If you are using a tougher cut of meat, simply let it cook for longer in the slow cooker and it turns out just as good.
To Die For Pulled Pork
- 4 lbs pork roast, shoulder or rump
- 2 Onions, finely sliced
- 1 standard can of ginger ale
- 18 oz Barbecue sauce
- Barbecue sauce for serving
- Place the sliced onions and roast pork into a large slow cooker along with a cup of ginger ale.
- Cook on low heat for about 8 to 10 hours.
- Once the meat is cooked to shredding consistency, remove from slow cooker.
- Drain away the excess fat, retaining only the onions.
- Shred the meat using a fork, removing away the bones (if any) and excess fat.
- Put the shredded meat back into the slow cooker along with the onions.
- Add the barbecue sauce and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for another 1-2 hours.
- Serve with warmed toast or burger bun.
- You may need to cook the meat for longer in an old fashioned slow cooker, for between 10 and 12 hours.
- Also, this meat can be frozen and used whenever a quick sandwich is called for.
Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooked Whole Chicken
- 1 defrosted whole chicken, as large as desired.
- 1 cup onion, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon of thyme.
- 2 teaspoon of salt.
- 2 teaspoon of paprika.
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.