Authors: Pam Harvey
9. An ant is trying to crawl out of an 8 metre well. During the day it climbs up 3 metres, but during the night it slips back 2 metres. The day starts at 8 a.m. and the night starts
at 8 p.m. Both equal twelve hours. If the ant starts his journey at 8 a.m. on Saturday, when (time and day) will he reach the top?
10. Lamp A is less bright than Lamp B. Lamp B is brighter than C and D. Lamp D is as bright as Lamp C. Which lamp is the brightest?
(3 points each – total 15 points)
11. Insert the same two letters to make two different words: SLO _ _ / _ _ ACE
12. What word is the best definition for volatile? Angry, changeable or frightening
13. Unjumble these letters to form a word meaning ‘seek’: CHARES
14. If a vowel is worth 3 points and a consonant is worth 1 point, what is the value of the capital city of Australia?
15. If you rearrange the letters ‘ANDLEGN’, would you have the name of an ocean, animal, city or country?
(2 points each – total 10 points)
16. Which is the odd one out? Carp, herring, shark, whale or pike
17. Name the ocean that lies to the east of Australia and to the west of America.
18. At which pole will you not find a polar bear?
19. The number of bones in the human body is closer to 100, 200 or 300?
20. What coloured ball on a snooker table has the highest value?
(2 points each – total 10 points)
TOTAL 50 points
3. 6 and 12
9. 8 p.m. Thursday
10. Lamp B
15. country (England)
16. whale (it’s a mammal)
17. Pacific Ocean
18. South Pole
BY MICHAEL PANCKRIDGE
46-49 Seriously Brainy
40-45 Very Brainy
35-39 Very Intelligent
25-29 Very smart
Toby Jones and the Magic Cricket Almanack (with Brett Lee)
Toby Jones and the Secret of the Missing Scorecard (with Brett Lee)
Toby Jones and the Mystery of the Time-Travel Tour (with Brett Lee)
Toby Jones and the Timeless Cricket Match (with Brett Lee)
Shielding the Truth (League of Legends, Book 1) (with Laurie Daley)
Live Action (League of Legends, Book 2) (with Laurie Daley)
BY MICHAEL PANCKRIDGE AND PAM HARVEY
Faster than Lightning (The Clued-Up Six, Book 1)
In the Deep End (The Clued-Up Six, Book 2)
is the author of the bestselling Toby Jones cricketing adventure series. He lives in Geelong, Victoria. His main interests include a wide variety of sports, music, reading and keeping fit. He has worked as a teacher for just over twenty years and currently teaches part-time at Geelong College.
Visit Michael’s website at www.michaelpanckridge.com.au
lives in Bendigo with her husband, two children, two dogs, two goldfish, two ducks, fifteen chooks and a ghost horse. Pam works as a physiotherapist, a TAFE teacher and other bits and pieces. She’s enthusiastic about a lot of things—including books, chocolate and getting up in the morning—and wears a bracelet made out of spoons. Pam has been writing since 1993.
The authors would like to say thanks to the team at HarperCollins, who are very easy to get along with—especially Lisa Berryman, Patrick Mangan and Liana Spoke. Special thanks to Olivia Dalton and Stephanie Taylor for their expert advice on swimming matters. Two great swimmers and two great people! Michael would like to thank Pam for keeping him on track. Pam would like to thank Michael for leaving the track to get more ideas.
An imprint of HarperCollins
First published in Australia in 2007
This edition published in 2010
Australia Pty Limited
ABN 36 009 913 517
Copyright © Michael Panckridge and Pam Harvey 2007
The right of Michael Panckridge and Pam Harvey to be identified as the authors of this work has been asserted by them under the
Copyright Amendment (Moral Rights) Act 2000.
This work is copyright. Apart from any use as permitted under the
Copyright Act 1968
, no part may be reproduced, copied, scanned, stored in a retrieval system, recorded, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, without the prior written permission of the publisher.
25 Ryde Road, Pymble, Sydney, NSW 2073, Australia
31 View Road, Glenfield, Auckland 0627, New Zealand
A 53, Sector 57, Noida, UP, India
77–85 Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8JB, United Kingdom
2 Bloor Street East, 20th floor, Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8, Canada
10 East 53rd Street, New York NY 10022, USA
National Library of Australia Cataloguing-in-Publication data:
Panckridge, Michael, 1962 – .
In the deep end.
ISBN 978 0 2072 0064 9 (pbk.)
ISBN 978 0 2072 0064 9 (epub)
I. Harvey, Pam, 1965—. II. Title. (Series :The clued-up six ; bk. 2).
About the Publisher
HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty. Ltd.
25 Ryde Road (PO Box 321)
Pymble, NSW 2073, Australia
2 Bloor Street East - 20th Floor
Toronto, ON, M4W 1A8, Canada
HarperCollinsPublishers (New Zealand) Limited
P.O. Box 1
Auckland, New Zealand
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
77-85 Fulham Palace Road
London, W6 8JB, UK
HarperCollins Publishers Inc.
10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022